While a general dentist is capable of providing braces; an orthodontist is more qualified
Dental braces (also known as orthodontic brackets) are most commonly worn by children, teenagers and young adults. Dental braces (if necessary) are the ideal way to straighten and strengthen your teeth.
Thanks to advances in dental technologies and science, dental braces have improved immeasurably in terms of comfort and aesthetic appearance. Even the effectiveness of straightening has markedly improved. These advances have managed to dispel the terrifying image of large amounts of metal wrapped around the head.
At Dream Smiles Orthodontics in Brisbane we provide a range of dental braces so that you can have the best treatment to suit your individual needs…
Dr Tan is a qualified orthodontist who presents all of our dental braces options to you so that you can make the choice you feel best suits your needs. Children, teenagers and adults generally get dental implants to adjust:
- Crooked teeth
- Misaligned upper and/or lower jaw
- Overbites or underbites
Metal free braces, clear braces are wires and brackets fixed to the front of your teeth. As the name indicates, they are clear so they are not as noticeable as traditional braces. Clear braces place gentle pressure on your teeth which will progressively move your teeth into the correct position.
Unlike conventional braces, the benefits of clear braces are;
- They are tooth coloured, so there is next to no change in the physical appearance of the patient during treatment.
- For this aesthetic reason, orthodontists feel no pressure in recommending that clear braces be left on longer (if necessary). This is because clients are less eager to be rid of clear braces than traditional braces.
- Clear braces are most popular amongst adults who don’t want it to be overly obvious that they are having dental work done while they are at work.
Like a lot of treatment, the amount of time dental braces will need to be worn will depend on how much the teeth need to be moved: it could be months up to a couple of years.
Tooth Coloured Braces…
Like clear braces, tooth coloured braces are practically invisible, but unlike clear braces, these are (as their name suggest) the colour of your teeth. Tooth coloured braces are made from a ceramic material; they differ from traditional braces with regards to their strength, durability and general performance throughout the treatment.
Benefits of tooth coloured braces;
- Come off easily post-treatment
- While you wear tooth-coloured you can still play sports
- Comfortable design
- Attractive translucent appearance
To make you your tooth coloured braces basically invisible the braces can be made to be totally white with the use of ceramic brackets, arch wires and ligature wires.
Their full name is Incognito Lingual Aligners. These are fitted to the back of your teeth so only you will know that you are wearing them. The Incognito Lingual Aligners are constructed of brackets and wires and are the simplest and least noticeable way to adjust your smile.
The benefits of Incognito Lingual Aligners:
- Hidden behind the teeth no one will even know you’ve got braces.
- Incognito Lingual Aligners are just as effective as traditional braces but with the obvious aesthetic benefits.
- The materials used in the making of these minimise breakage and damage
- Each bracket is custom-made for each tooth
The design of the Incognito Lingual Aligners improves comfort and (importantly) does not affect your speech.
With the advances in technology metal braces have become less visible, less bulky in recent years. And because of this more adults are comfortable wearing them. Braces are important as misaligned teeth and jaw can cause gum disease and tooth decay which can lead to series health issues for the rest of your body.
Why more and more adults are turning to braces:
- Correct gaps
- Fix teeth that are crowding
- Crooked teeth
- Various problems with bite (overbite, underbite etc)
At Dream Smiles Orthodontics we believe that you should have all the options made available to you. That is why we offer an extensive range of dental braces to suit your orthodontic needs.